Cheryl is a passionate and engaging public speaker, with ample experience both in front of large audiences and on-camera. She is based in the Seattle area but can consider a limited number of engagements outside the region (travel stipend or advance may be required.) For booking information, contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Voice User Interface Design
In February 2017, Cheryl launched a new workshop, “Giving Voice to Your Voice Designs“, at Interaction 17. The workshop is now in the middle of a world tour and available for further bookings – click here for more information.
As one of the first design ambassadors for Microsoft’s 4Afrika program, Cheryl created a 4-session intensive program on intermediate design topics and traveled to Nairobi’s iHub tech incubator to deliver the course to entrepreneurs and designers alike. Two of the presentations are available online: Storytelling and the Human Form, and Psychology of Design.
For younger audiences, she has created Making the World Easier with Interaction Design. This half-day interactive workshop designed for students grades 6-12 provides students with some basic design principles and walks the class through the early stages of design. It connects computer science to creativity and human impact in a way that particularly speaks to female students, but is applicable to students of all genders. First offered at the DigiGirlz tech camp in 2012, Cheryl has personally taught the material to over 500 students to rave reviews and repeat invitations. The slides are available for free online, and educators can reach out to inquire about in-person workshops.
Cheryl is an engaging and entertaining speaker for audiences of all ages and experience levels.
Selected speaking highlights:
- “Giving Voice to Your Voice Designs” (2017 world tour)
- Workshop at Interaction ’17 and UX Lisbon 17
- Talk at PSSIGCHI and Carnegie Mellon’s Integrated Innovation Institute
- “Computer Engineer Barbie: How Interaction Design can entice a new generation of women” (2011 tour)
- Interaction ’11, GeekGirlCon 11, IXDA Seattle
- Received one of the highest SpeakerRate ratings at Interaction ’11 (4.72)
- Girls Unlimited: Keynote speaker, Arts Inspire: “The Creative Career”
Cheryl is available to speak on a variety of topics, including:
- Natural user interfaces, especially voice
- Complexity in design (cloud, server, tools, etc.)
- Emerging community interactivity platforms (Twitch, etc.)
- STEM Careers & women in technology
- Improv in the corporate world
Moderating and Emceeing
Cheryl is also available to moderate (and participate in) panels or to emcee larger events. Her background in improvisation makes her an ideal candidate for unpredictable or high visibility situations. She is also a veteran emcee, with nearly a decade’s worth of experience emceeing live comedy shows including Seattle TheatreSports and the Seattle Festival of Improv Theatre.
- 2017: Emerald City Comicon / Moderator and panelist, Shadowrunning Secrets panel
- 2012: GeekGirlCon / Moderator for Geek Girls Create panel (200 attendees)
- 2010: Emerald City Comicon / Moderator for Leonard Nimoy; The Guild panels 1500 attendees.
- 2011: Microsoft TechEd / Moderator, “Women in Technology” luncheon with Mary Jay Foley. 400 attendees. (audio + slides here; 75 min)
Cheryl did a fantastic job moderating the panel and keeping the pace of the session high.
Her energy was infectious and I appreciated her viewpoints as well. (TechEd 2011 Women In Technology panel feedback)